Thinning the herd a little

Yellowhammer

Staff member
Lots of hogs hitting my feeders right now. My son and I went over to the lease to dove hunt Saturday morning, but were not expecting much sine I had not been seeing any doves.

We decided to check a feeder since the hogs had been hitting it early. Sure enough, a couple of sows were at the feeder at daylight. Hunter to a shot from the bogpod, and a spotted sow dropped and kicked around and then got up an ran. We went down to look for her and I ended up shooting this one (which I am pretty sure was the one at the feeder) as we were looking for the spotted one.

Smyrnasow9-15_zpsqnpuozrq.jpg

We never found the spotted one. As you can tell, it was hot! I had brought ice, so I pulled out the backstraps and hams and feed the rest to the coyotes. We then went after the doves, but as I expected it was poor and we only got one.

We had an invite to another spot for the afternoon, and got my 14 to finish up a limited, and Hunter got 10.

Hunterdoves2015_zpst6duc12t.jpg

This morning I got up early and went back to the lease to sit in one of my stands. As soon as the feeder went off I had a big boar step out. I dropped him with a head shot.

Smyrnaboar9-15_zpsptjp5okl.jpg

I sat another hour and a half and saw a bobcat, a doe and a fawn. I then got down, loaded up the boar and was driving around to my other stand when I saw a herd of hogs in a highline. I had just got out and was steading for a shot on the bogpod when I heard a truck coming. It was a couple of guys on the lease and they had spotted them to. They had their bows and wanted to try a stalk.

They put on a stalk as I watched, and when they got "close", I saw them shot the range and both draw. The hogs had moved just over the crest of a hill so I could see them, but not the hogs. I was about 100 yards behind them. I hear the shots and a "whap" and a squeal.

As this was happening two other lease members had came up and we all walked to down to see what the result was. That is when we found out the range shot was 66 yards.

We trailed up the first one that was hit with a rage 2 blade and left a fair blood trail. After about a hundred yards we walked up on a gut shot sow that jumped up and stumbled off. They finished it off with a pistol.

We then drug that one back to the truck, and I and one of the others stayed at the truck while they went back to find the other arrow, and figured they must be looking for one after a few minutes and then we heard another pistol shot.

The second one was also gut shot with a muzzy 3 blade and needed a finishing shot. Even though they were gut shots, I was impressed with shooting at that range. I think they will be ready for the upcoming elk hunt they have planned.

After they drug the other one up, we took a hero shot.

smyrnagrouppic_zps7j1ysysf.jpg

HOMnomination_zpskztnelgn.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Great post and pics, Hammer!! Always a bonus to get out with the kid.. Are you in east Texas? Those hogs must be a real problem to the local farmers..

What happened to that poor boy of yours? He got all....well....grown up!
Way to lay down some sausage and get the boy out in the woods.

Back